Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On 2004-07-11 10:59:22 +0100 Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil@vsnl.net> wrote:

MJ Ray said on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 10:24:26AM +0100,:
Personally, I'm not sure that is as much of a problem as the > requirement to distribute unpublished mods to a central authority on > request. [...]
At some point  of generalisation, this becomes an  issue of striking a
balance between a particular user's right to keep his modifications to
himself, and right of the community  as a whole to have access to free
software.

I know that many in the free software community tend towards belief in anti-proprietary stances (preventing software hoarding, and similar). I am surprised that there is any support for expropriation (forcibly taking another's private software). Maybe I have misunderstood what balance you are describing?

As you can read elsewhere, I am not convinced that debian-legal is > equipped or wise to try to analyse licences in abstract.
I'm afraid that  this list will have to do both  - analyse licenses in
general,  and also scturinise  specific packages  when brought  to our
notice.

Why?

In the specific case of  licenses which are outright non-free, we need
to tell DDs / upstream that packages under a particular license cannot
be in the archives.

No, we need to tell DDs/upstream what changes need to be made for a package under that licence to be part of debian. "Just saying no" is the wrong thing to do.

Even if a package is under a poor licence, there maybe could still be exceptions/waivers granted. I'm not sure whether debian has accepted such things before.

In general, analysing licences out of context is no use to debian (does not get more software in the archive) or to the licensors (if their software is not trying to get into debian). The only case when it is useful is if this list is asked for comments on a draft, usually with some particular software for debian in mind.

Licence analysis has its place, but as part of considering a package, rather than outreach on its own. The debian event and country-specific groups are far better places for outreach. I hope we see some legal members helping them, too. Instead, -legal needs to "inreach" more, to keep as many DDs as reasonable on board.

As I wrote before, I think a summary of consensus on the libcwd > situation is more useful than a licence summary.
If we decide that because libcwd is solely under the QPL,

I think we've noticed that libcwd is not a pure QPL. I'm still wondering whether it has infringed the copyright on the QPL. I doubt Trolltech would do anything: their "copyright" link at the foot of the licence page displays trademark details entitled "copyright acknowledgements", so maybe they don't have a competent and watchful legal department. http://www.trolltech.com/company/copyright.html

it cannot be
in main,  will some situation  arise where application X,  also solely
under QPL can be in main?

No, but it would be possible that QPL-like +extras could be. Having a checklist QPL=>non-free decision isn't as helpful as we could be. Worked examples are a far better explanation.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden