Re: Visualboy Advance question.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 10:07:35PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> I don't think that the basis for a package's inclusion in main should be the
> packaging in main of appropriate content.

The Debian Policy says something pretty close to that, in my view.

  2.2.1 The main section

  Every package in main and non-US/main must comply with the DFSG (Debian
  Free Software Guidelines).

  In addition, the packages in main

      * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
        execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
        "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
        package),
      * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
      * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

  Similarly, the packages in non-US/main

      * must not require a package outside of main or non-US/main for
        compilation or execution,
      * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them,
      * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

OTOH, as you're sure to note, an easy way around this is that a package can
be completely useless in main as long as what it depends on isn't a
package.  Maybe that *was* your point.

> That would be a waste of archive resources.

Er, before heading down this road, I think you should attempt an objective
demonstration that we seem to give a damn about wasting archive resources
in the first place.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Optimists believe we live in the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    best of all possible worlds.