Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 06:03:27PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> The practical problem addressed by the Desert Island test is the ability
> to make private modifications.  This could be phrased in terms of custom
> software used within a business, but it wouldn't be nearly as catchy or
> succinct. :)

How does this sound:

   Unnecessary Burden Test

   The license shouldn't place special requirements on authors of changes.
   Seemingly trivial requirements might require a month out of the
   author's life, or more, in situations that are not rare enough, such
   as extreme poverty or complying with the requirements of repressive
   governments.  For free software, it's ok to require that changes be
   licensed such that everyone can receive them -- requiring more than
   that just creates problems.

?

It seems to me that this covers all Desert Island and Dissident cases,
and has the additional advantage of being obviously related to the DFSG
(don't discriminate against persons or groups).  Also, I think it makes
more sense than the both the Desert Island and Dissident tests.

[That said, perhaps there's even better ways to express this test.]

Thanks,

--
Raul