Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:59:18PM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> * Clause 6c requires modified versions that are not distributed to the
> public to be provided to the original developer on request.  This
> requirement fails the "Desert Island" test and the "Dissident" test (see
> sections 9a, 9b, and 12o of the DFSG FAQ at
> http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html).  DFSG-free licenses must
> allow non-distributed or privately-distributed modifications, and cannot
> require distribution to anyone, except for requiring that source be
> distributed to those who receive a binary.

"On request" doesn't seem to create any problems for the dissident test.
For the request to be made, the dissident must already be known.

Likewise, if the change author is on a desert island, I don't see how
the change author can receive any requests.

Perhaps these test should be updated to focus more directly on the
practical problems we're trying to solve?  [The "desert island" test, in
particular, seems like it could be phrased better -- I think a "poverty"
test would be much more apropos.]

[Note that I do think that the choice of venue issue could place an
unreasonable burden on some groups of people.]

--
Raul