Re: Visualboy Advance question.

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>:

> I put xtrs in contrib because without the ROM (or a DFSG-free OS for the
> TRS-80 Model 4P, which doesn't exist or at the very least isn't packaged),
> the only thing it will do is display an error message that no ROM was
> found.
>
> My thinking is that we need to not be pulling any bait-and-switches on our
> users.  If I were to "apt-get install xtrs" from main, I'd expect it to do
> something more than throw up an error message.
>
> In summary, the decision to put emulators that are largely or completely
> inoperable without supplementary materials (from non-free, or not provided
> by Debian at all), is not wholly compelled by the "100% Free Software"
> portion of the Social Contract.  It's also motivated by the "We will be
> guided by the needs of our users" part.

Could you explain how you think the "emulator and ROM" situation is
different from the "media player and media file" situation, if you
think it is?

Does Debian main contain any MP3s? If not, would you like to see MP3
players removed from Debian main?

As for "bait-and-switch", why not include a warning in the package
description that you will need a ROM image to use the emulator?