Re: license change for POSIX manpages

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 05:23:51PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > "to give any third party", this fails the Desert Island (or some
> > variant of it) test.
>
> Nobody on a desert island can be requested to do anything.

Sure you can; send a message in a bottle (or via one-way satellite).  Lots
of desert island failures are like that, eg. "if the original author requests
the source, you must send it".

This also fails the Chinese Dissident test: if I *have* to give you a written
offer that can be given to someone else, then it's forcing me to communicate
with whoever you decide to give it to.

(I suppose you could draw a line between the DI and CD tests by using the
former to test "can't communicate at all, in either direction" and the latter
for "doesn't want to communicate", though I don't think I've seen that
distinction made before.)

--
Glenn Maynard