Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 09:42:42AM -0600, Joe Moore wrote:
> By your words "this case" above, are you referring to the above-quoted
> discussion of combining gcc and metafont?

Yes.

> Based on your next (quoted below) paragraph, I must assume you are.
>
> What does keeping copyright notices, warranty disclaimers and references to
> this license have to do with combining GCC and metafont?

The license on GCC specifically disallows copy rights when the work as
a whole includes portions licensed under the metafont license.

> Are you suggesting that no possible combination of GCC and metafont can be
> labeled with conspicuous and appropriate notices?

Yes -- well... not without some exceptional effort (for example: changing
the license on metafont might make an appropriate notice possible).

> > Alternatively, how are you combining gcc and metafont without making a
> > copy of the software which combines gcc and metafont?
>
> Section 2 grants you a license to create derivative works.  While not
> explicitly granting permission to copy (just copy, not "copy and
> distribute"), without that permission, there can be no derivative works.
> Since the entire point of the GPL is to encourage derivative works, any
> reading of the GPL which does not allow derivative works is clearly
> erroneous.

This looks like a quantifier issue.

The GPL is designed to encourage the creation of derivative works,
but that does not include derivative works where GPL copyright is not
granted to everyone.

> >> Let's see, eliminating the irrelevant (to our discussion) parts: [[
> >> 2,/caput/ ]] You may modify; you may copy such modifications with all
> >> rights we waived in section 1; provided [[ 2, a ]] you mark the files
> >> as
> >
> > Slow down, are you saying section 1 is irrelevant, or that you've
> > satisfied its terms?
>
> The terms of section 1 are satisfied by "conspicuously and appropriately"
> keeping certain notices intact.

This doesn't answer the question.

> >> I said: You can modify gcc, combining it with metafont (as long as you
> >>  don't eliminate 2,c announcements -- which AFAIR gcc does not have);
> >
> > If you can put appropriate copyright notices on it, sure.  I'm not sure
> > how you're going to so this, but I'm sure you'll clear that up for me.
>
> Change line 1 of gcc/src/main.c to #include "metafont/includes/includeme.h".
>
> That's a (rather trivial) combination of the two programs.  All of the
> requirements for section 2 are met (as long as you don't distribute the
> resulting combined work).

Where's the appropriate copyright notice which you are supposed to
prominently include?

[Aside: I will agree that some copyright law allows this sort of thing
-- basically making it not a copyright issue.  But that's not a part of
the license.]

--
Raul