Re: Problematic Software Licenses

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 06:46:48PM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:
>> Well, I didn't do the mods myself, so it's not really any work lost on
>> my part. Do you think attempting to contact Activision would be any help
>> at all?
>
> I have no idea.  If you do, you should probably seek advice from the
> list of how best to approach that.  (I don't have any recommendations,
> myself; it's not something I'm particularly good at.)
Start by contacting the guy who issued the second 'license'.  Mention that
you want to be legally correct, and that you want to redistribute modified
versions to other people, and let them do the same, but that you don't
think you have explicit permisison to do that, and copyright law being what
it is these days, you aren't comfortable distributing without that.

At least you have a decent chance of a getting a license suitable for
non-free with that sort of request.