Re: contracts vs. licenses, OSI, and Debian (was: The QPL licence)

Branden Robinson said on Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:45:39PM -0500,:

 > On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 07:29:57PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
 > > To veer  off the subject a  little, we don't  like licenses which
 > > engage  in  too  much  contract-like  behavior,  because  they're
 > > usually non-free.  In particular, any license which requires that
 > > you agree to it in order to *use* it -- since use is not normally
 > > restricted by copyright law -- is trying to be a contract, and is
 > > also non-free.
 >
 > Indeed.  Larry Rosen,  who is an attorney and  is the legal advisor
 > to the Board of the  Open Source Initiative[1], is a major advocate
 > of converting  copyright licenses  into contracts[2], as  are major
 > media[3] and proprietary software[4][5] companies.
 >
 > I personally  think this explains  a great many of  the divergences
 > between Debian's assessment of licenses and OSI's.

In  law,  you  cannot  impose  obligations on  anybody  without  their
consent.  `Acceptance'  is  required/necessary  only  if  the  license
imposes an  obligation on user.  Asking the *user* to  contribute back
his  `in-house' modifications, a  hallmark of  at least  a few  of OSI
licenses, imposes an obligation  on him. Naturally, proponents of such
licenses require that the license is a contract.

The GNU/GPL, OTOH, does not  impose an obligation on *use*. Obviously,
the FSF  does not require it  to be `accepted'. The  policy of certain
package  installation  software,  (typically  on  non-free  platforms)
insisting on  the display of  licenses (even in  case of the  GPL) and
asking the user to accept them, is therefore, IMHO inappropriate.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,