Re: Squeak in Debian?

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> Roland Stigge wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Lex Spoon wrote:
> >> The export clause just means Squeak must go into non-free.
> >
> > No. Rather non-US. With non-free, we have the same export problem. And
> > if there's another problem that forces us to put Squeak to non-free, the
> > result would have to be non-US/non-free.
> And since there is, that means it does.  And non-US isn't running at the
> moment.  :-P

The clause does not mean it must go into non-US, but the opposite:
US servers are already bound by this clause anyway due to federal
law.  Thus we should distribute it from US servers which already
have to be careful about exports.

Note that we already distribute software under export clauses like this.
In package "bind", the DNSSafe software license states:

    You must not violate United States export control laws by
    distributing the DNSsafe software or information about it,
    when such distribution is prohibited by law.

cmucl's license says this:

;;; Use and copying of this software and preparation of derivative works
;;; based upon this software are permitted.  Any distribution of this
;;; software or derivative works must comply with all applicable United
;;; States export control laws.

The X license says this:

    7. Compliance with Laws; Non-Infringement. Recipient shall comply
    with all applicable laws and regulations in connection with use and
    distribution of the Subject Software, including but not limited to, all
    export and import control laws and regulations of the U.S. government
    and other countries.

I certainly don't like Squeak's export clause, but it seems that we have
found a way to deal with such clauses in the past.  Let's deal with it
for Squeak however we've dealt with it for X, cmucl, and bind.

-Lex