Re: lookandfeel General Public License (LAFGPL)

Frederik Dannemare wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking of filing an ITP on Snort Alert Monitor[1] (SAM), but I'm
> not 100% sure about its license. Although the license is based on the GPL,
> there are some modifications to it. Personally I think it still looks
> compatible with the DFSG, but I may have missed something.
>
> Do you guys mind having a brief look at the license and provide some
> feedback, whether you consider it a DFSG-friendly license or not.
>
> http://freesoftware.lookandfeel.com/SAM/documentation/LAFGPL-SAM.txt

*Sigh* Unfortunately, it doesn't matter.  The license itself appears to be a
violation of the FSF's copyright in the preamble of the GPL; the FSF
doesn't grant any right to modify that preamble, disgustingly enough.  It's
not legally safe to distribute the license text, so we can't very well
distribute the software.  Blech.

That said, I think the license looks fine otherwise.  :-P