Re: DRAFT d-l summary of the OSL v2.0

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> There is no DFSG #0 that requires the right to *run* the program,
> because the prevailing legal opinion is that copyright cannot restrict
> use in the first place. If the license demands that one accepts a
> restriction on use as a condition on getting the other rights the DFSG
> requires, is an attached string. As such, it renders all of the other
> rights void for the purposes of applying the DFSG to it.

I realize now that I misunderstood your argument in my last message.
Your claim is that since the use restriction attaches to all the other
freedoms the license grants, it is also a restriction on all those
freedoms....?  In which case DFSG #6 is completely redundant.

Hrm.  I'm still uncomfortable -- if it were intended that the DFSG be
interpreted that way, why is #6 there at all?

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>