Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

Scripsit Lewis Jardine <s9902074@sms.ed.ac.uk>
> Henning Makholm wrote:

> > The problem with clean-room implementations is not so much producing
> > them as debugging and testing them enough to be reasonably sure that
> > they will work in *all* computers that were built to accept the
> > original. If we could (legally) produce something what is bitwise
> > identical to the original, we could sidestep that whole problem.

> Is it legal to have a third-party look over the copyrighted and the
> cleanroomed bootsectors, and see if they're the same (and tell parties
> one and two either 'yes' or 'no'), or does that contaminate p1/p2?

If the procedure is understood by the parties involved as being a way
to home in on identity, then the result will certainly be encumbered
with whatever copyright (if any) applies to the original.

Henning Makholm  "Det er jo svært at vide noget når man ikke ved det, ikke?"