Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

Scripsit Lewis Jardine <s9902074@sms.ed.ac.uk>
> Henning Makholm wrote:

> > The problem with clean-room implementations is not so much producing
> > them as debugging and testing them enough to be reasonably sure that
> > they will work in *all* computers that were built to accept the
> > original. If we could (legally) produce something what is bitwise
> > identical to the original, we could sidestep that whole problem.

> Is it legal to have a third-party look over the copyrighted and the
> cleanroomed bootsectors, and see if they're the same (and tell parties
> one and two either 'yes' or 'no'), or does that contaminate p1/p2?

If the procedure is understood by the parties involved as being a way
to home in on identity, then the result will certainly be encumbered
with whatever copyright (if any) applies to the original.

--
Henning Makholm  "Det er jo svært at vide noget når man ikke ved det, ikke?"