Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:40:33PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>
> > There's absolutely no point even implying that we need their permission
> > to reverse engineer anything,
>
> If we are going to distribute code that has been derived by reverse
> engineering, then we do need permission from the original copyright
> holder. It's not the "reverse engineering" that needs permission; it's
> the "distribute derived code".

If it's independently created, it's not derived.

A clean-room reimplementation is an independent creation.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;