Re: DRAFT summary of the OPL; feedback requested

I wrote:

> 1) Draft summaries should clearly be marked.
>
> 2) The first sentence (which is a paragraph by itself) clearly states
>    the conclusion, and includes the full name, including version number,
>    of the license.
>
> 3) The reasons for the conclusion follow in list form.
>
> 4) Each reason includes a reference to the relevant portion of the
>    DFSG.
>
> 5) An optional section titled "Suggestions" follows the list of reasons.
>    It includes d-l's suggestions on how to resolve the problem(s).
>
> 6) A URL for the original license is included.
>
> 7) The full text of the license is included at the end.

Since no one's objected, I'll replace #4 with:

4) Each reason should refer explicitly to the freedom that is
   restricted, and how it is restricted.  Including the DFSG section
   number is not necessary.

If/when we set up a debian-legal web page, something like this can be
included so that people know what to expect in the summary (and so that
we have a reference for writing summaries).

> - Aggregate works must include a note that it contains OPL work.  This
>   is presumably fine, as it seems to be met simply by including this
>   license along with the OPL work.  Is this worth clarification?
>
> - A reference to the original, unmodified version must be included. This
>   has come up before, but I've forgotten the conclusion.  Does it
>   violate the Dessert Island test, as the guy on the island may not know
>   where the document came from...?

I'm going to skip the first point here, unless someone wants to make a
case for it.  After thinking about it, I'm convinced the second point is
a problem, though, so I'll include that.

I'll give this new version another couple of days, and if there's been
no objection I'll post a real (non-draft) version on Friday (hopefully
to be included on any debian-legal license page, which I think is an
excellent idea).

Below is a new version of the summary, with the original quoted ('> ')
and additions/changes quoted with '+ '.

> --- Begin *DRAFT* Debian-legal summary of the OPL ---
>
> Debian-legal has concluded that the OPL (Open Publication License) v1.0
> is not a DFSG-free license.
>
> - It requires the original publisher and author to appear on all outer
>   surfaces of a paper copy, and defines how they should appear.  This is
>   a significant restriction on modification (DFSG #3).

Change (remove the DFSG reference):

+ - It requires the original publisher and author to appear on all outer
+   surfaces of a paper copy, and defines how they should appear.  This is
+   a significant restriction on modification.

> - The person who makes any modifications must be identified.  According
>   to the Dissident Test this violates DFSG #3 as well.

Change (remove DFSG reference & refer to the DFSG FAQ for the Dissident
test):

+ - The person who makes any modifications must be identified.  According
+   to the Dissident Test this is an unacceptable restriction on
+   modification.  (See the DFSG FAQ[1] for a description of the Dissident
+   Test.)

Then add the following:

+ - A reference to the original, unmodified version must be included in
+   any modified versions.  This may not be known or available, and may be
+   impossible under certain circumstances (e.g., the document is included
+   as help text in a binary).  This is an unacceptable restriction on
+   modification.

> Suggestions:
>
> As a copyleft license for documents debian-legal suggests the GPL with
> the optional addition of explanatory text (text which is not part of the
> license) explaining that the author believes the preferred form for
> making modifications (i.e., source) to be an electronic version in the
> original format.
>
> If the goal is a compromise between allowing paper-only versions and
> copyleft, debian-legal suggests using the GPL with an additional
> exception to the source distribution requirement for small-scale or
> non-commercial distribution.  As always, it's best if the exception can
> be dropped at the choice of the recipient, so as to maintain GPL
> compatibility.
>
> NOTE: The above is not legal advice.  If you need legal advice you
> should contact an attorney.
>

> The latest version of the Open Publication License can be found at:
>
> http://opencontent.org/openpub/
>
> It is included below in full.

And add the link to the DFSG FAQ.  This will have to be changed if we
move the FAQ to an official location:

[1] http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq.html

Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>