Re: Summary: Is Open Publication License v1.0 compatible?, was Re: GPL+ for docs

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:00:44AM -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
> I think we should take it on a case-by-case basis.  For many cases, I'm
> afraid, this would simply end up taking up most of our time following
> the forms of producing summaries.  My judgement was that there is no
> real controversy on this issue,

How times have changed!

> so I went ahead and posted a simple summary.

It's a good start and I don't want to downplay its importance.  I simply
agree with Simon that we should go a little farther.

> For cases where there's controversy, I certainly agree.  But if we want
> to start doing this for every issue that comes to debian-legal we need
> to make it very simple to do or we'll quickly get bogged down.  IMHO,
> this would mean we need a problem tracking infrastructure to handle it.
> (I know of no reason the BTS couldn't be used for this -- for example,
> with a dummy package ala WNPP.  But not knowing the BTS all that well I
> hesitate to say so for sure.)

Here's another potential application for RT (see debian-vote if you
like; otherwise ignore this comment :) ).

> > As well, it would be nice to quote the entire license and our exact
> > concerns in the summary.  This way, people looking through our
> > archives in the future won't have to do more research tracking down
> > lost texts.
>
> That's a sensible idea.  Not only does it make browsing the archive
> simpler, but it also specifies clearly which license we're talking
> about, when there are several versions.  I'll do that in the future, but
> unless folks really think it necessary, I won't bother for this case.

The OPL is an important license, in part because it motivated the FSF to
produce the GNU FDL, and I think it's worthy of a formal summary.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Any man who does not realize that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    he is half an animal is only half a