Re: Patent issues

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:29:37PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2004, at 04:09, Roland Stigge wrote:
>
> >We don't know if the patent holder enforces the named patents next
> >week.
>
> No, we don't. But we do know that in the past, Unisys has been very
> active in enforcing its LZW ("GIF") patent. We assume that a patent
> holder who has previously litigated or even threatened litigation is
> far more likely to sue in the future.

Er, well, I suggest we only apply that reasoning to specific patents,
not the patent holders themselves.

Otherwise, IBM's patent-infringement claims against SCO may put us in a
bit of a pickle.  IBM has a lot of patents.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.