Re: free licensing of TEI Guidelines

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> I'm not too familiar with XML namespaces, but I thought the intent ---
> and it agrees with the definition that has been posted here --- is a
> non-functional one of identifying the origin of the tag. Even if not,
> surely a menu is at least as much a functional element as a namespace
> (if I understand them right at all), but if I title my menu "Microsoft"
> I can expect trouble.

A long, long time ago there were IBM PCs which contained a statement in the
BIOS that they were copyrighted by IBM.  Some programs checked for IBM PC
compatibility by looking for the copyright statement.  So competitors' BIOSes
would say things like "This is copyright by ___.  The following is added for
compatibility only: Copyright IBM...."  (Unfortunately, Googling up a
reference for this is probably impossible.)

You may have to title your menu Microsoft if you want to be compatible with a
dumb third party program that won't work unless your menu is titled
"Microsoft"...