Re: the ripmime license

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-02-22 16:43:36 +0000 Willi Mann V. <willi@wm1.at> wrote:
> >   Such redistributions must allow further use, modification, and
> >   redistribution of the Source Code under substantially the same
> >   terms as this license.
>
> I think this is DFSG-free, but there's a lawyerbomb for combining
> with other licences (what is "substantially"?).

Yeah, this is yet another example of how not to write a license, or at
least how to stick a (possibly) gaping chasm into your license.

> >   IN NO EVENT SHALL SENDMAIL, INC., THE REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF
>
> Odd: P.L.Daniels not listed as cannot be held liable and where did
> "Sendmail, Inc" come in?

Yet another example of why copying and pasting licenses may be
hazardous to your health.

I personally agree that the license may be DFSG Free, but a few of the
clauses of this license definetly give me pause. Someone should
suggest that upstream use an already accepted DFSG Free copyleft
license instead of rolling his|her own. [Or at the very least, work
with a lawyer experienced in the writing of such licenses.]

Don Armstrong

--
She was alot like starbucks.
IE, generic and expensive.