Re: Musical files and chords

Scripsit Raphael Goulais
> On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 19:27, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > I don't think so. If the chord sequence is not protected by copyright
> > in itself, it does not magically become protected by your telling what
> > it is.

> If you provide the arrangement under the name of the song ? This can be
> considered as derivative work.

No - if what you're providing is not a copyrightable work at all
(because of lack of originality), it logically cannot be a *derived*
work, even if you tell where you got it from.

> The question is ... Is the association of the song name + chords
> considered as derivative work ?

The name is just a fact. The question is whether the chord progression
is, by itself, sufficiently original to be protected. That is
orthogonal to the question about its being accompanied by the name.

Henning Makholm  "Det er jo svært at vide noget når man ikke ved det, ikke?"