Re: Musical files and chords

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 15:53, Henning Makholm wrote:
> I don't think there is a single answer to this which holds in
> general. Many popular tunes work with chord sequences that are so
> generic and nondescript that it would be ridiculous to claim a
> copyright on them. For example, something such as

You're right on this part. Since the chords are associated with the song
name, this is a copyright violation. If the chords were provided without
reference to the song, they could be considered generic ...

> Somewhere in between those two examples there is a line, with a wide
> and fuzzy grey area around it.

That's why I choose to not provide the examples in the debian package.

> For the purpose of providing examples, it would be prudent to stick to
> very generic changes, and music that has passed into the public domain.

Thanks for this answer, I'll forward upstream.

Raphael