Re: translations under Creative Commons license?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> I have a question about how I can grant a license to translate a written
> article without granting a license to create any other derivative works.

What advice are you seeking?  This is clearly non-free, so offtopic for
Debian, but we have some folks who've thought about licenses a bit and may
offer help anyway.

I'd say "No license is granted to prepare derivative works.  Please
contact me for licenses to translate or otherwise reuse this work.".  If
you want control, you want control over rogue translations too.

> I realize the license is non-free by Debian standards, as I do not wish
> to allow it to be modified in any way.  That's important to me because
> the work is in large part an expression of my opinion, and I am writing
> it for a largely political purpose.  However, I hope that the Debian
> community will be sympathetic to what I have to say in the article,

Bleh.  Non-free means to promote freedom is a seriously flawed concept.
Just MO.

> Now my question: I wish to encourage translations to languages other than
> English.

Unless the translator does a bad job or purposely mistranslates your
meaning, I presume.  This takes individual scrutiny.

> The only solution I have been able to find is that I can notify
> prospective translators that they can apply personally to me for a
> license to translate the document, and I can send them written
> permission.  (According to the CCPL, I think I'd have to supply this
> permission in hardcopy, I don't think email would do.)

You can grant additional permissions to anyone you like anytime.  It would
no more need to be written than the main license you choose.

> Perhaps you can suggest language for such permission, or else direct me
> to other licenses.

I'm saddened that you think this necessary, and that your beliefs are so
frail that you cannot allow people to reuse your expression in ways that
may differ.

To do what you want, just add a note that any translation must be approved
by you, and you will redistribute official translations under the same
license.