Re: Advice on Drip (ITP #156287)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:19:50AM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> To my understanding, the legal problem is not in libdvdcss nor in drip,
> but in the combination of them. libdvdcss itself doesn't violate the
> DMCA because it can be used for purposes other than ripping DVDs (for
> players), and Drip itself doesn't violate the DMCA because the default
> configuration has CSS support disabled.

Uh, I think your analysis is flawed.

What does or does not violate the DMCA, as we have seen, is determined
solely by the MPAA, RIAA, and their member companies, and has nothing at
all to do with the text of the law itself or the Congressional Record.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Somewhere, there is a .sig so funny
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    that reading it will cause an