Re: Defining 'preferred form for making modifications'

On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 16:35 US/Eastern, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

"Brian T. Sniffen" <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:

Nonsense. I edit multiple images into a single image all the time, but
rarely save an XCF file: multiple layers live in the image-editor's
memory, but never hit the disk.  There is no persistent form which
represents "source" any more than there is for a wood carving or a
painting.

There is, but you delete them.

No, there is no persistent form. Or, to use a better word, a "fixed" form.

Let's assume for a moment that I have to keep the otherwise temporary multiple-layered version of an image. Then I want to know which if the following I must also keep:

	a) Several times while editing an image, I save. Each new save is
	   clearly a derivative work of the previous save. Do I have to
	   keep every save as source?

	b) (a), but for C source

	c) When editing a file in vim, I often create multiple panes. Much
	   like having multiple layers in an image, it eases editing. That
	   set up would probably be useful to anyone else who is modifying
	   that file. Normally these panes are destroyed when I dispose of
	   the editor window. Are they source?

	d) I also use syntax coloring when editing code. If I use my own
	   custom syntax coloring, is that part of the source?

I'm particularly interested in how (a) and (b) are any different.