Re: [POSITION SUMMARY] Re: Plugins, libraries, licenses and Debian

mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) writes:

> bts@alum.mit.edu (Brian T. Sniffen) writes:
>
>> Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> writes:
>>
>>> I have thus, even with STENOG included, satisfied the terms of the
>>> INVERT license.
>>>
>>> Now, there is a potential problem. Remember that scripting language
>>> mentioned before? If someone were to write a script that used both
>>> INVERT and STENOG, and then distribute that script, there might be a
>>> problem. But that's an issue for another thread.
>>>
>>> This is no different from perl/python/whatever modules under different
>>> licenses.
>>
>> I think this is a quite reasonable summary of the situation.  I will
>> point out that further distributors who wish to distribute AIE and
>> INVERT will essentially be bound by the GPL with regards to AIE, even
>> though it is under the MIT/X11 license: they received it under the
>> terms of the GPL, not under the terms of the X11 license.
>
> *If* the program is derived from the plugin, which it isn't, since the
> program existed first.  Besides the GPL says this:

I wasn't clear about what I meant, I'm sorry: when distributing
AIE+INVERT, INVERT is under the GPL, AIE+INVERT is a derivative work
of INVERT, and so must be treated as under the GPL, and so AIE, in the
context of AIE+INVERT, must be treated as under the GPL.

> These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If
> identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
> and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
> themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
> sections when you distribute them as separate works.

Yes, if you pull AIE out separately and distribute it alone, you don't
need to provide source.

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/