Re: Licensing requirements ???

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> [2003:10:10:22:25:34+1000] scribed:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:10:24PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > As I commented in response to David, I had always assumed that, so long
> > as we do not modify source code, GPL allows distribution of this sort.
> > Once I read the MySQL licensing page, I have doubts.
>
> Eh?  Whether you've modified the code or not, the GPL requires you to
> fulfill all of it's requirements.  One of those is that people you
> distribute to can get the source (either from you or via some other offer).
>
> If your application links to a GPL'd library (and the new MySQL client
> library is GPL'd, so you're stuck) you are required (by the FSF's
> interpretation of the GPL, at any rate) to GPL your program, which means
> handing over the source.
>
> > We want to do the right thing.  This is *NOT* a matter of whether or not
> > we can get away without paying for software!
>
> Whelp, then, in that case, just buy a MySQL licence, get a licence for
> whatever other GPL'd software you link to (not much in the PHP/Apache/MySQL
> combo), and live happily in the night...

Just what is meant by `link(s) to'?

In the programming sense, whereby our code directly calls library
objects, such as in dynamically/statically linked binaries?

Or, as in our case, where said libraries are called indirectly, and
referentially, via SQL calls made by PHP code?

Please, bear with me, because I am in unfamiliar water, and I want to do
what is right.  Nevertheless, I do want to understand the rules, and not
pay by extortion, as per other popular licensing models ;>

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource