Re: Licensing requirements ???

On 2003-10-09 20:01:36 +0100 Michael D Schleif <mds@helices.org> wrote:

My client wants to retain all rights to their software, and is not
willing to release their software in any `free' software fashion.

...so this isn't a question about the licence of something that can be in Debian? I suspect debian-legal is not the best list for this.

Everything other than the proprietary software is straight DEB
installed, so their is no issue of distributing modified `free'
software.  However, the MySQL licensing model seems to indicate that a
licensing fee is due them; and, I wonder about others.

I believe that you can supply MySQL for free or fee. If you are creating a derived work of it, you will need to read and understand the terms of the licence, or buy a different licence from them. IANAL and this is an opinion, not legal advice. If you have a more specific question about MySQL licensing, MySQL AB are probably the best people to consult.

What are the repercussions to my client, as a result of this model?

How long is a piece of string? I'd expect that they will get reduced licence fees and no effective vendor lock-in. Please seek legal advice from a copyright lawyer with experience of free software licences in your local jurisdiction.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at
PM 8+9 Oct: visit me @ AFFS on .ORG stand, at www.linuxexpo.org.uk