[phaeron@virtualdub.org: Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status]

Here's Avery Lee's response:

"I do not know of an actual instance in which the ASF patent was
enforced. What happened was that I received a phone call from member
of the Windows Media team informing me that my ASF code was illegal,
despite being constructed from scratch via data reverse engineering. I
never received a formal notice from Microsoft Legal, and my requests
for specifices went unanswered. Once someone uncovered the patent,
however, it was a moot point. The patent is *snip*"

(I've edited out some specifics on the patent, to avoid spreading
liability; if anyone wants the original, unedited message, mail me
and I'll forward it in private.)

--
Glenn Maynard