Re: There was never a chance of a "GFDL compromise"

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     If you are aware of the existence of unmodifyable essays and logos in
>     debian main, please file an RC bug against the package in question.
>
> You seem to be saying that if our political statements, which are
> included as invariant sections, could be removed from our manuals, you
> would make a point of removing them.
>
> A few weeks ago someone was trying to argue that nobody would do this,
> and that invariant sections were designed to solve a nonexistent
> problem.  Now we know the problem is not just theoretical.

You have misunderstood.  A section which is removable but invariant
would have to be removed for the manual to be in Debian, because the
DFSG prohibits both unremovable and invariant sections.

But if the sections were both removable and modifiable, then nobody
would be removing them in Debian.

Thomas