Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Since Debian use the translation "Logiciel" for Debian French pages,
> it means that the word software must be clearly defined by Debian.

Mathieu,

I would suggest that you to carefully read "Le petit Robert"'s definition for "logiciel". (For those of you that are not French speaking, Le petit Robert is one of the most respected French language dictionaries.)

In the 1983 edition (on my desk) I read:

LOGICIEL: n.m. Ensemble de travaux de logique, d'analyse, de programmation, nécessaires au fonctionnement d'un ensemble de traitement de l'information <Emphasis> (opposé à matériel) </emphasis>.

(Emphasis mine).

A translation of the emphasized text is: (opposite to hardware).

So, Debian's use of the word "logiciel" in french seems quite in line with the English semantics used by people on debian-legal.

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/