Re: "GNU is perfect" and French IRS, was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> On 2003-09-22 10:52:22 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Sure, it is more confusing when talking in English to mention a well
> > known kind of institution in one major english-speaking country than
> > talking about French specific institutions that, I'm sure, everybody
> > is familiar with... It is very sensible.
>
> This is simply incredible.  A frenchman encouraging US cultural
> dominance!  Clearly, it is less confusing to refer to a generic term,
> such as "tax authority," than a particular country's fairly obscure
> name for it.  I only know it from the USian literature I have read.
> If a frenchman who frequently points out that he is not a 1L speaker
> of English refers to an acronym, I assume that it is some global or a
> local French thing.  If I were to speak of HMCE, at least people would
> have a chance of finding it in a search based on my domain.

Maybe speaking English on that list encourage a cultural
dominance. However, in our word, in this century, speaking French
would not allow me to talk with so many people from different
countries, specifically on that list.

So I speak English, and I do try to use examples that anybody can
understand. If you already made a donation to the FSF or to the SPI,
you should know what IRS is. I think that this case is probably pretty
common, on this list.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: