Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> On 2003-09-22 06:58:19 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Since Debian use the translation "Logiciel" for Debian French pages,
> > it means that the word software must be clearly defined by Debian.
>
> If "logiciel" truly does not mean the same as the English word
> "software," then it should probably be reported as a bug against
> Debian's French translation when used in its place.  (I think that
> "programaro" (group around programs AIUI, translated by some as
> collection of programs) or "softvaro" (imported word) should be used
> instead of "programo" (lit. program) for its EO translation.)

Logiciel truly means program (it can surely include the technical
documentation). But it is a very acceptable translation for software
in the narrow sense (which seems to be the most common sense,
however).

Free Software is known in France as Logiciel Libre. I'm not sure that
you will find many supporters of Logiciel Libre that really thinks
that Free Software is not about specifically software programs.

Anyway, if you are no longer talking about programs, you are no longer
talking about Operating System and even no longer talking about
computing.
Because if you propose rules to handle documents sitting on a
computer which are not programs or their documentation, there's no
reason not to apply these rules to the same documents in a
non-software form.

So maybe you are right (I do not share your point of view) but anyway
this is off-topic for Debian and for Logiciel Libre.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org