Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On 2003-09-22 09:27:52 +0100 Andreas Barth <aba+nospam@not.so.argh.org> wrote:
Yes. However, as "software" is a so fundamental term to Debian, it
would perhaps be better to make an appropriate (semi-)official
statement anywhere.

It seems a little odd to expect Debian to contain an official statement saying "by software, we mean software". Let the people who use bizarre definitions say "by software, we don't mean software but this other thing".

Fun note: on http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/fs-translations.html FSF give "libera softvaro" as a translation of "free software." That has the opposite problem to debian's apparent French mistranslation. I think that "libera programo" (lit. "free program") may be closer to FSF's preferred meaning. I think I have seen "Free Software Foundation" translated as "organizo por libera programaro" in the past, but I can't find that on their site.

Random Thought: FSF claim to support "freedom of the press." Why not the free press movement?