Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:29:54AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>       The DFSG explicitly
>     > codifies my specific decision about TeX,=20
>
>     It does nothing of the sort; there is no mention of the word 'TeX' in
>     the DFSG.
>
> Section 4 does precisely that, though without mentioning TeX by name.
>
>     In other words: I can live with Donald Knuth issuing a license in the
>     gray areay between free and non-free. I cannot live with the same thing
>     coming from the FSF.
>
> The GFDL is free according to our standards.  If you wish
> to view the matter otherwise, you're entitled to your opinion.
>
> Someone else criticized the idea (though no one had proposed it) of
> giving the FSF special consideration; now you seem to be saying just
> the opposite, that you believe in giving the FSF less cooperation that
> you would give to anyone else.

No, that's not true. I'm saying that, when it comes to freedom, I expect
a higher standard from the FSF than I do from D.E. Knuth. I'm not
suggesting we should stop cooperating with the FSF.

>      is that the Debian Project could end up being better friends with
>     the Open Source Initiative than with the FSF; while most Debian
>     Developers and users nowadays think the FSF is a "good" organization[1],
>     this might change if the FSF insists on having those Invariant Sections.\
>
> The FSF has lived with contant criticism for many years.  Say what you
> wish; we will make no concession to threats like this.

I'm not trying to be a 'threat' to you; I'm just suggesting a possible
future, and am asking you whether you have considered it. If you have,
good; if you haven't, please do.

I for one will know what the FSF stands for, and will not easily be
pursuaded to think of the FSF as an '3v1l' organization, but I'm not
sure everyone thinks that way.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."