Re: There was never a chance of a "GFDL compromise"

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:33:28PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     If you are aware of the existence of unmodifyable essays and logos in
>     debian main, please file an RC bug against the package in question.

> You seem to be saying that if our political statements, which are
> included as invariant sections, could be removed from our manuals, you
> would make a point of removing them.

> A few weeks ago someone was trying to argue that nobody would do this,
> and that invariant sections were designed to solve a nonexistent
> problem.  Now we know the problem is not just theoretical.

If the political statements were not only removable, but also
modifiable, then there would be no reason why Debian would have to
remove them; and indeed, most of us are sympathetic to the message
contained therein.  But if they were only removable without being
modifiable, then yes, removing them would be the only way to include the
accompanying documentation while still ensuring that all bits in Debian
guarantee the freedoms that we require.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer