Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

    If you are willing to disregard the explanation of the meaning of
    a text by its author in order to reinterpret it, you're on the
    wrong way. It is absurd to argue rigidly that "the DFSG obviously
    doesn't say that" when its author says it is.

To point out what the words of the DFSG actually say is surely
appropriate for understanding it.  I don't think that a message from
Bruce Perens, proposing an interpretation that is contrary to the
words, settles the issue.  It is up to the Debian developers to decide
Debian's interpretation of the DFSG, but if they choose an interpretation
which is not what the words say, I hope they will recognize that they
could choose a different one.