Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

Josselin Mouette <josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org> a tapoté :

> Le ven 19/09/2003 à 17:39, Mathieu Roy a écrit :
> > However, Debian has a pretty clear definition, according to supposedly
> > Bruce Perens's statements. According to this clear definition, the
> > official Debian Logo should go in non-free.
>
> We don't ship the official (jar+swirl) Debian logo in main. If you find
> it in a package, please report a serious bug against it.

Good point.

However, does not it mean that Debian recognize that in some case some
"software" (in the large sense) can be non-DFSG and still acceptable?

I'm a bit puzzled if you are about to claim that you truly _require_
to be able to modify the GNU Manifesto while, at the same time, not
giving the right to anyone to print an Official Debian Logo on a
tshirt is something completely fine for you.

And, finally, if I correctly understood this page, if I get an
official Debian CD, with this Logo as cover, I'm not able to provide
a copy of this official Debian CD unless I completely follow a process
documented at www.debian.org. For instance, if www.debian.org is not
available to me (server down, no internet connectivity) and that I
forgot the exact process, I'm not legally able to make that copy to a
friend with the official logo.

Well, it sounds as annoying than being forced to have 3 pages in a
manual that anyway nobody is forced to read.

And that's funny to claims that this logo is not part of main while
it's the cover of the CD containing main. But sure, once printed, it's
no longer "software" (in whatever sense of term).

So in fact, a text/document have to be free only if it's on a
computer? Is it the point? If Debian was making hardware (books!) in
the future, it would be ok for Debian to provide, itself, along the with
CD, proprietary manuals or even the GNU manifesto?

Is it important to be able to modify a text only when this text is
typed on the computer? All the reasons mentioned about how it's
important to be able to modify a non technical text in the manual are
only valid when the manual is not printed?

It's very hard to understand for someone that consider computers as
"just" tools. For me, printed or not, a Program must be Free
Software, the technical parts of a manual must be Free Software.

Fortunately, Debian only ships software... It saves time.

(PS: I think that the purpose of this non-DFSG logo is perfectly
sensible.)

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: