Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

    TeX allows us to make any changes we like provided we distribute the
    changed source as a patch file, and provided we change the name if the
    result doesn't pass the Trip test.

Yes, but my point is that the original TeX source code must be
included in the source distribution, and you cannot change it.

    This is not allowed for a GFDL manual, is it?

The GFDL allows you to make any changes you like in the technical
substance of the manual, just as the TeX license allows you to make
any changes you like in the technical substance of TeX.