Re: stepping in between Debian and FSF [Was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal]

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> Bruce, it's quite clear from the quoted text that your efforts
> (whatever they are) at getting the FSF to discuss this issue have thus
> far failed utterly. Do you expect any progress here? If not, it's time
> for us (Debian) to start taking more direct action about eliminating
> the GFDLed stuff.

In my opinion, there has been no movement whatsoever from the FSF, and
a rather singular unwillingness to engage in discussion beyond at
attempt to get us to subvert our principles.

I continue to hope that this situation will change, as I presume we
all do.

But still, that's where it is now, and since I see no particular
likelihood of change any time soon, I agree with Andrew.

I think the correct direct action is to pursue appropriate bug reports
against the relevant packages, and have the manuals concerned dropped
in the normal course.

Thomas