is debian political?

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> a tapoté :

> > Debian is both technical and political.  I refer you to the Social
> > Contract which says "We will be guided by the needs of our users and
> > the free-software community.  We will place these first in our
> > priorities."  Note the "free-software community" there.
>
> And that is relevant how? I parse that as "technical needs of...".
>
> What the hell is a "political need"? The last thing people need is
> politics.

You may claim that as a non-English guy, I do not understand the word
politic. But this word takes his origin from Ancient Greek and I have
some knownledge about Ancient Greece.

And unfortunately, anything that is about how a social group is ruled
is politic -- basically, it's about the "polis".

So Debian is indeed political, because when you cares about what
people need, you are in politics, whatever the fact that this word may
no longer be trendy (at the contrary of the word "technical", sure).

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org