Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 01:07:48PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 12:45:24PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > I think Debian folks understand what you are trying to accomplish with
> > > the GFDL
> >
> > Yup.
> >
> > > and are sympathetic with the goal,
> >
> > Nope, they can go to hell.
>
> Huh?  I think the FSF's goal is a decent one: to make sure everyone
> who gets free software understands what free software is.

The goal of this part of the GFDL is to force their (non-free) dogma
to be distributed along with their manuals (for various reasons of
their own, which are no concern of ours). Value judgements on the
content do not belong on debian-legal.

If their ultimate goal is to make sure everybody who gets free
software understands what it is, then they're going about it
completely the wrong way. Most people who get free software never read
the manual.

> Debian also
> does an awful lot to try and make sure too.

I haven't noticed any such attempts.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |