Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Monday, Sep 8, 2003, at 16:03 US/Eastern, Joe Moore wrote:

Anthony DeRobertis said:
The GPL prohibits us from distributing Debian on orange peels or
probably even punch cards, because that's not "on a medium customarily
used for software interchange."

The medium restriction you note refers only to the source code.  We can
distribute Debian on orange peels (There's more to Debian than just source).

No we can't. We can distribute parts of Debian on orange peels. The DFSG applies to all of Debian, not just the non-source subset.

Also, if the binaries are distributed on orange peels, then orange peels must meet the criteria for "software interchange", since the binaries are
software.

Yes, but that's irrelevant. It is certainly possible to interchange software on orange peels, but it is not a "medium customarily used for software interchange", which is what the GPL requires.