Re: OT Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On 2003-09-10, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm guessing that you feel all of my questions to RMS have been
> rhetorical.  They haven't been.  For instance, I asked him whether
> Debian ceasing to distribute non-free software (and not providing
> reference to it in the installer, and similar measures) was a
> sufficient, rather than a necessary condition for the GNU Project's
> endorsement.
>
> I never received a clear answer to that, and I still don't know the
> answer.  I fail to see how the question could be rhetorical, since a
> reasonable reader could plausibly imagine both affirmative and negative
> answers to the question.  Maybe the GNU Project has other criteria they
> would need Debian to satisfy, or maybe they wouldn't.

On this particular question, I think you do need to read between the
lines a little, but the answer seems to be "no".  According to RMS, if
Debian dropped the GNU documentation and removed non-free software,
the GNU project would "refer" to Debian, but the reference "could not
be wholeheartedly positive".  That doesn't sound like an endorsement
to me, but at this point it becomes a semantic game: I think RMS'
intentions are clear.

Peace,
	Dylan