Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org):
> > You are mistaken. Your statement is not true for parts of this world
> > (but it may be true for other parts of the world). For example in
> > Germany you're always making a contract, even with GPL.
>
> I have no doubt you are correct -- but I had in mind the overwhelming
> majority of jurisdictions that have copyright regimes in line with the
> Berne Convention and that lack such additions.

The question whether a copyright license necessarily is a
contract has nothing to do with the Berne Convention. Germany,
like most European countries, does not require "consideration"
to be present in a contract. If I make an offer and you
accept it, we've got a contract. Even if I get nothing from
you in return.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself