Re: UnrealIRCd License (Click-Through issue)

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:49:04PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Only in the US. Most countries require the plaintiff actually have a
> > case before letting them in the courtroom.
>
> This isn't really true in the US as well. Frivolous lawsuits in the US
> often are thrown out very rapidly in the pre trial phase.[1] Many of the
> egregious cases which are thrown out often involve the awarding of
> fees and/or damages to the defendant.
[...]
> 1: Of course, you do hear about rather rediculous judgements from
> time to time. That's because there are quite a few moronic lower court
> judges out there. Most of those settlements (the Mc-D's coffee one for
> instance) are often overturned or reduced in the appeals process.

I think this has something to do with our perverse habit of making
state judges *elected* officials.

This does a lot to discourage professionalism among judges.

(Not every state does this, and this does not occur in the federal
courts.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    A committee is a life form with six
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    or more legs and no brain.