Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:16:36PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 08:24:57PM +0200, Mika Fischer wrote:
> > How far does one have to go in regard to data? A few examples.
> >
> > - Data published on the web:
> >   http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/cat1.html lists stars with possible planets
> >   around them.
> >   Is one allowed to use this data in a program?
> >   Basically for me this is just information and it doesn't make sense to
> >   restrict that.
>
> In the U.S., mere facts are not subject to copyright protection, and
> there are no separate laws extending copyright-like protection to
> databases of facts.
>
> In many European jurisdictions, copyright-like protections to extend to
> databases of facts.

I don't believe that database law applies here, due to the small size
of the data set. However, I'm only familiar with the UK
implementation; other parts of Europe may differ. It's the French
version in particular which matters here.... anybody?

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |