Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Josselin Mouette wrote:

The work being proprietary has nothing to do with the contents of the
work itself, which is just what I stated above. Please don't answer to a

This is irrelevant. I do not really understand, why do you think it is that important. Do you think that "restricting" is not the same as "taking away the freedom"? Why it is important for you, in which way it is done?

The GFDL is very different. It adds restrictions you often find in
proprietary software: discrimination against fields of endeavour,
restrictions on modification.

As with GPL, those FDL resrictions have completely another background in comparison with proprietary software. One, who ignores the difference in the FDL background should reject GPL also (if he wants to be consistent).

I don't see much difference between a proprietary work you can't modify
and a proprietary work you can't modify with a "Free" stick. Blabbering
about world domination of free software without even ensuring works you
release are free is a good way to fail: when world domination is
achieved, you realize you made so many exceptions that you are far from
your original vision.

There is such a danger. People who want to produce software without any restrictions and danger prefer Public Domain. They try to ignore proprietary software existance.
--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov