Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Richard Braakman said:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:26:07PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> In any case, your argument for Invariant Sections applies just as well
>> to  programs as it does to manuals!
>>
>> Would you consider a hypothetical program license to be free if it
>> allowed  'off-topic' text which must be present unmodified in source
>> and object code  of all derived versions, and must be displayed
>> (perhaps through a  command-line option) by every derived program?
>> Maybe you would, in which  case you're consistent.  I wouldn't.
>
> Heh, you choose an interesting example there.
>
> (GPL section 2c -- The Startup Banner)

A better example:

A program that starts up a browser to display http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/
on startup.  The license of the program forbids changing or disabling the
browser code (which is completely unrelated to the program's purpose of
managing local users/passwords), or changing the startup URL.

Is that a free software license?

--Joe