Re: Freaky copyright laws [was: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free]

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:39:02PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> There have been efforts in the U.S. to undo the effects of _Feist_
> through legislation.  One example is the "Collections of Information
> Antipiracy Act"[1].  (I don't think that bill passed.)

Lobbyists apparently tried to get it bought a few years in a row, but
were unsuccessful.

The following URL has a ton of information and links:

http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/database.html

I suspect that rather than give up, the database interests have merely
changed tactics.  Price is no object when you stand to reap a
government-protected monopoly windfall.

Ain't the free market great?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to