Re: A possible GFDL compromise

O Domingo, 24 de Agosto de 2003 ás 19:36:20 -0500, Joe Wreschnig escribía:

> How about the GPL v2? "The source code for a work means the preferred
> form of the work for making modifications to it"; binary or object code
> is anything that is not source. I don't see the problem in applying this
> standard all software (meaning programs and documentation).

 Well, that has already been discussed and it is apparently quite
troublesome ("if I convert a HTML file into plain text, which is the
preferred form for modification?"). My formulation doesn't have that problem:
if you can modify, translate, excerpt, etc., it's ok.

 Well, it has problems of its own: I'd accept "no you cannot modify the file
it is distributed in but you can copy'n'paste into a new file and modify it"
as fulfilling the requirement, while others might not. Hey, in documents
it's the text what matters: if the text (and illustrations, possibly) is the
same, the document's file format (or physical medium) doesn't really matter,
does it? :-)

--

   Tarrío
(Compostela)